Saturday, January 19, 2008

Paranormal or Cat?

I like to watch shows about ghosts. I'm not totally convinced of ghosts per se but I am sure of there being a whole lot to be filed under Unexplained. And that I like. It's freaky good. Which probably explains my affinity for the horror flick. The hubby on the other hand claims he hates this stuff. He's tried to tell me it's because he doesn't believe in it, but last night I discovered it's actually because he DOES.

He told me that when he was a teenager he was at a girlfriend's place with a few friends, watching a movie. He had been lying on the floor near the t.v. and when he tried to get up he felt a hand on his back pushing him down again. He completely flipped out and all of his friends were laughing and asking what the hell he was freaking out for. He told them and his girlfriend admitted that her grandmother had passed away in the house. So I asked him if he had been intimate with her in the house and he said yes. I laughed and told him it was probably her granny's way of saying, "take your sweaty mitts off my granddaughter."

So after all this ghost talk we head to bed. I (like Liz) take a leap into bed so as to avoid anything that might be lingering underneath. Now, I mentioned earlier that I like watching ghost shows. One of them is Paranormal State; a show about kids from Penn State that are investigating claims of paranormal activity. Apparently there is a time between 3 and 4 AM called dead time, when paranormal activity is most active. Sure. I don't ask questions. So last night I'm awoken suddenly (by what I'm not totally sure) and the light is on. And my cat is there on the night stand. As I turn to shoo her away she knocks the light to the floor and slinks around the corner. I am confused. WHY IS THE LIGHT ON? It's a pull switch. Did the cat pull the switch? How can a cat pull a switch? Then I look at the clock. 3:06. Yikes! Dead time! WTF. Now I'm scared. I manage to drift back to sleep only to be awoken again exactly 30 minutes later: 3:36. And by what I don't know. Just awake. So I pull the blankets up over my head and curl into the hubby, cause everyone knows that ghosts can't get you when you're snuggled under blankets.

A side note: When Grace was a newborn I had her in bed to feed her. I had removed all her clothes because newborns tend to fall asleep when they're eating, so keeping them cool helps keep them awake...yaddayaddayadda...when she finished I went to redress her and her little hat was gone. Vanished. And we've never seen it since. We've also lost several soothers. They go into bed with baby, but they don't come out. And there have been numerous occasions when certain baby toys go off all by themselves. Now I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'...



*update: since posting this, my blog header font is white and I can't change it...weeeeirrrd

13 comments:

madge said...

PARANORMAL! PARANORMAL!

kate said...

Definitely des fantômes and not Smudge! At least that's what I voted.

Verdant Earl said...

I've got a "dead time" story for you, but I think I will save it for its own special post.

Kat said...

madge- I knew it!

kate- Ya know what I just realized? Your blog name is my name and my cat's name put together...NEAT!

earl- Do tell!

kate said...

Now that is plain cool ... definitely ghosts at play!

Cheezy said...

Ghosts just love playing around with electricity. It's their favourite hobby....

Slyde said...

and the best part of the story?

I've worn that little hat every night since i swiped it....

Verdant Earl said...

You know, you are going to have to post more than once every week or so if you are going to make fun of the subject matter in my posts, missy! ;)

Kat said...

Kate- YIKES!

cheezy- YIKES!

slyde- pea brain ;o)

earl- Have you been wearing panties again? ;op

Verdant Earl said...

I've never stopped wearing them.

Why do you ask?

Mermaid Melanie said...

you believe what you believe. and when things happen, they happen. I do believe that spirits roam the earth, and try to connect to us from time to time.

i still think the cat could have done it, which would make it an even better story. :wink:

elizabeth said...

Sorry. I just get stared at so when I buy soothers. So I steal yours. They help me sleep.

PST - Ghosts. Not real. Seriously. It was a house elf.

Kat said...

lizzy- ah yes. Close relatives to the kitchen gnome.