Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Tragically Hip

Some of you may recall THE BEST POST EVAH! Well, I forgot to mention that the hubby to be really did it right. The ring was not my engagement/birthday gift. Oh no. I also got 2 floor seat tickets to see one of my favourite bands and last night we cashed in! First we went to my pre-baby place of employment and feasted on succulent steaks and fabulous wine. After having both our tummies and our pocket books pampered we headed out to the show where I had a few more beverages of the beer kind. Buck 65, an east coast hip hop duo I had never heard of before, opened the show with something that equated to a cross between Beck, Stompin' Tom, Leonard Cohen and The Beastie Boys. But it was the Hip that melted my heart. Many failed opportunities to see this band over the years culminated into an experience of a life time: From a ten year old girl in jazz class dancing to Boots or Hearts, a teenager whose camping trips were defined by Fully Completely, a singer in a band covering Wheat Kings and Fiddler's Green, to a mom looking for a well deserved chance to remember she is a person who experienced it all. It was worth the wait. So, thank god for sleepy babies. We got home at 11pm and the munchkin didn't get up till 5am, ate and we all went back to sleep till 8am. 4 coffees later and you'd never know we took a cab home last night. Now. How to get the car back from down town...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not too familiar with the TH, but I felt the same way when I finally saw King Crimson. Good on you!

Bugwit said...

Sounds like a woderful night out a well-deserved break. Your guy sounds like keeper!

Isn't it great when you go to a show and fall in love with the opening act?

Here's my favorite opneing act discoveries:

David Lindley (Opened for Joe Walsh)
Marshall Crenshaw (Howard Jones)

Then there was Max (sombody)'s Flying Circus. They were Canadian-opened for Rush. The only thing I loved about them is how they started the show. The house lights were still on. Some scrubby-lookng guy in sweatpants walks up the the mike and says "Check...Check...CHECK THIS OUT!" and hits some bi chord on the guitar and the house lights snap off and the stage lights come up.

Cracked me up!

Kat said...

joe- did you check out pura fe?
And...the Hip don't venture out past Canadian borders much. But they are worth the listen!

buggy- That Max Circus thing surely sounds Canadian based on the humour alone! I LOVE RUSH. Some folks can't get past Geddy's voice, but they are some of the most talented musicians out there. Changes is genius.

Jennifer said...

Very, very, very jelouse (splg?)
I can't believe you went to that concert! VERY LUCKY GIRL! You must have had an amazing time...
:)

Verdant Earl said...

I've always been a bit tragically un-hip, myself.

Bugwit said...

Damn. Blogger ate my post. It can eat my post, too, if you get my meaning.

Loving Rush is (damn Earl, you beat me) tragically un-hip, but I love them. They were gods when I was learing to play guitar in the 70's.

I'll remember Max's name someday.

madge said...

Here's to good nights out on the town...