Wednesday, January 02, 2008

"A couple is 2"

Finally. No more holidays. There are officially no more cookies (of the nineteen dozen I exchanged at work...), turkeys, candies, gravy or 5 varieties of cheese and crackers lingering in my kitchen. No more giant dinners for breakfast, brim with champagne and croissants, tongue and Branston or bagels and lox. The only thing left is the tedious task of putting away the decorations. I think I may even be done with the copious amounts of wine and other spirits...for a little while anyhow.

Last night, for the first time in over 4 years, I actually slept for 12 hours. And although I am not inclined to make resolutions I am entertaining the promise to let myself get more rest. The fine balance I maintain between mothering, working and having fun has been stretching thinner over these last few months. So far, I have not discovered a bean of caffeine that will sufficiently replace my lost hours. And since purchasing my ultra -comfy, new linens I'm considering moving the entire house into the bedroom and setting up shop around my bed.

I've also decided that I need to find the kids daycare for a couple of days a week. And as my daughter always reminds me, a couple is 2. The hubby is taking off again some time in the new year to work on another hotel. But this time he has to stay from start to finish, which means an easy month in Alberta. If I am to keep my sanity, I cannot have work as my only time alone. So with my 2 days I plan to write. I've not been able to do it much in the last year. All of that time and all of those ignored thoughts equals my right hemisphere bulging like a parasitic twin.

If by chance you're hungry I'll be posting last night's dinner later today: Pear and Potato Soup with a couple of years old cheddar.

11 comments:

Slyde said...

12 hours sleep? i hate you.

Kat said...

I know. Isn't it lovely?

elizabeth said...

Remember - I'll watch the yungsters for yer too. Even let em stay over (I've got more painting that needs doing - and how's the girls at making that yummy soup you speak of?)

Verdant Earl said...

Why does the cheese have to be aged if you are going to melt in a soup anyway? Is there that much of a difference?

Sounds delish!

Kat said...

liz- you could try getting them to make it for you but it might end up a little chunky and then of course there is the drool...

earl- aged cheddar has a much sharper taste, crumbles easily and does not melt quite as readily as regular cheddar because it is drier. If you don't crumble it too small, it should still be lumpy as you're eating it. And it is very delish. Eeeasy too ;o)

badgerdaddy said...

Some friends of mine used to live in Cheddar. It's a bit of a dump, but the surrounding area is quite pretty.

Kat said...

But do they have great cheese?

elizabeth said...

I think we have a friend that might move there - (VIC) - UM yeah badge - how's their cheese???

Cheezy said...

The county of Somerset (where Cheddar is) is home to many great cheeses. Don't tell the French, but even their brie is pretty good!

That soup sounds good too. I'm gonna try that...

Kat said...

Liz- only if it was served to her in bed ;o)

cheezy- mmmmmm cheese. And the French are awfully territorial when it comes to naming food and drinks. I find it funny.


wv- eggdxp

Mermaid Melanie said...

I wish I had some alone time. My son goes to preschool, so I can work.

good luck with the writing. Cheese.... I wont live a day without it. and no diet will keep me from my CHEEEEZZZZZ.