Thursday, November 16, 2006

Always Know Where You're Going BEFORE Leaving the House


I'm usually really good with directions. But, I hate maps. I'd rather ask someone for directions. Usually before I leave the house. Except for this one day about 13 years ago. Liz needed a ride to a doctor's appointment at the hospital. I was pretty sure I knew where it was so I offered to take her. I should have been absolutely sure. I roll up to what we thought was the hospital, but something didn't look right about the place. There wasn't the usual traffic, parked ambulance or EMERGENCY entrance. We drove around a little, but Liz was pretty sure this wasn't it. Again. We should have been sure. Hell. We should have known. In fact, I'm pretty sure we were the only two idiots in the city who weren't familiar with where we were. More important at that moment was finding the right place. We needed to stop and ask for directions. No problem. Around the front of the building was a paddy wagon (might as well have been a flashing sign). Just as we pulled closer two officers were making they're way toward the back of the wagon (a flashing sign with arrows). Oh good, we thought. The police will know where to go. We'll ask them. As I put the car in park and Liz began to roll down her window, the back of the wagon opened up to reveal a crazed man in a straitjacket and shackles.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" we screamed.

" Oh my god Liz, it's a crazy person."

"Keep going Kath!" Urged Liz, with two fingers firm on the window button. "I don't think this is the right place."

I don't believe I've ever been lost since.

12 comments:

Bugwit said...

Too funny. She said hospital, and you too her to the hospital!

Love the platform shoes, btw.

Anonymous said...

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how we met....

Anonymous said...

Wow...that picture...just...wow...

I've never met anyone in a strait jacket. Why are you so lucky? ;)

Steve~

Kat said...

buggy- for some reason 70's attire made everything funnier when I was a kid.

slyde- I'm surprised they let you have computer access.

steve- I still laugh at these ridiculous cartoons! As for luck, it runs in the family! My mother lived with a bunch of nurses back in Uni. One of them was studying to be a psych nurse. During Christmas one year, she asked my mom to come with her to the patients' holiday party. From what I understand, my mother had to dance with guys not too unlike the characters from One Flew Over. Now that's luck.

Anonymous said...

"My name is...Kat...and I like to do drawrings..."

elizabeth said...

Good times. Good times. (I think I dated that guy)

Kat said...

madge- thankfully my drawrings have matured over the years! lol

lizzy- Just one in SO MANY!!

elizabeth said...

Kat - I assume you mean the good times and NOT the guys I dated. Don't respond to that.

Tits McGee said...

Fabulous.

Kat said...

liz- (insert response you want, or lack there of, here)

tits- aw shucks.

elizabeth said...

Hey. That I like. Really. Could we get everyone on earth to be more like you?

Kat said...

I still think there should be a National Say What You Want (As Long As It's Legal) Day. In my industry, that'd be a long time coming.