Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Killer Crock Pot Chili

Have I mentioned that I love fall? Here's a recipe to warm your bones as the cool weather rolls in.


Ingredients

1 lb lean ground beef
1 can tomato paste
1 can black beans
1 can browned beans in tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup corn, frozen or canned
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 medium Spanish onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 jalapeño, seeds removed, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
1 large portabella mushroom, sliced to 1 inch
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tbsp chili powder
Salt and cracked pepper to taste
2 bay leaves
3 cloves of garlic, minced
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp Tabasco
Vegetable oil

Method
Turn on the crock pot to high and add the diced tomatoes, corn, beans and mushrooms. Sauté the beef, onions, peppers, celery, zucchini and garlic until they are half way cooked, then add them to the crock pot. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, spices and Tabasco. Stir the mixture into the crock pot along with the bay leaves. Cover and bring the pot to a bubble. Then reduce to low and let cook for at least 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve in bowls and garnish with extra old, shredded cheddar cheese.

~ your welcome ;o)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm addicted to my crock pot! Thanks for this recipe - sounds so hearty.

Cornelius T. Fish said...

Mmmmm!!!!!!!!! I love me some chili. I also love fall, I'm a wooly jumper (that's a sweater, for those not born in an Irish peat bog) sort of lad by nature.

Kat said...

madge- I had some last night...yummm!

fish- me too. Jeans and a sweater with a sexy pair of boots is my favourite outfit.

Verdant Earl said...

MUSHROOMS!

IN CHILI!

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!

(Besides that it sounds great, but when you have your own chili recipe and it has served you well for countless years...ya tend to stick to it)

wv: yofood - no kidding!

Kat said...

earl- I take it you don't like mushrooms? I actually have several chili recipes. This one (as Madge put it) is the heartier of all of them. I also have a 5 bean chili, a steak and kidney bean only chili and yer standard ground beef chili. Did I mention I like chili?

jiggs said...

I like chili, but sometimes it makes me poop in a bad way.

Anonymous said...

That seems like an awful lot of work. ;)

Steve~

Kat said...

lola- dont' tell me they've been living off hagis for the last month!

jiggs- but that's half the fun! Right?

steve- Not so much. But I take it you don't like to cook much...outside of opening the pre-made can of chili, yes? ;o)

Cheezy said...

Sounds yummy. I might give it a go. Whenever I make chilli, I usually can't help throwing a cinnamon stick in there too though...

Kat said...

cheezy- Yes! I put the cinnamon stick in my ground beef chili. I even put it in my ground beef pasta sauce too :o)