Thursday, November 30, 2006

Shepherd Peppers Pie


Less time cooking at work= More time cooking at home. Here's a favourite I haven't made since the cool weather rolled in last year. And really. The temperature, for late November in Ontario, ain't too cool yet. Anyhoo. Let's get cookin'.

Where's the Beef!

One each of a large yellow, orange and red shepherd pepper (you can use the regular garden variety if you like), seed em out and dice em up!
1.5lb extra lean ground beef (we're going to add back the fat with good for you fat, olive oil)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large spanish onion, diced
4 cloves raw, minced garlic
1/4 cup worchestershire sauce
1 tbsp louisiana hot sauce (for flavour....add more for kick!)
1 cup beef stock or broth
2 tbsp, sifted all purpose flour
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp each of mustard and onion powders
salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste

method~ Heat oil and garlic in a skillet. Add diced onion and cook slightly. Crumble the raw beef into the pan and continue to break it up as it cooks using a spatula. Once browned, add the diced peppers. Let cook for a few minutes. Add sifted flour and seasonings. Then stir in liquids. Bring to a bubble, reduce and let simmer for 5 minutes. Pour into suitable baking dish.

Roasted Garlic Tater Topper

10 medium red potatoes, washed and skins left on
1/2 cup veggie stock or broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp butter
6 cloves roasted, mashed garlic
salt and pepper to taste

method~ boil em. drain em. Add the stuff to em. Mash em. Spread em (not your legs, the mashed- over top of the beef mixture)

Toss in a preheated 375F oven for 15 minutes. Then broil, to brown the top, for a scant 5 minutes.

Cool em. Eat em. Eat em up.

16 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

Wow! That sounds really good on a cold day.

Too bad I'm headed to the Florida Keys for 2 weeks tomorrow. Cold weather is something that happens to northeners. Mwah-ha-ha-ha!!!

Kat said...

SHUT UP!
I HATE YOU AND YOUR SUN!


well. not really. but i am extraordinarily jealous.

Anonymous said...

That looks divine!

Mermaid Melanie said...

mmmmmmmmm shephards pie!

now I want a chicken pot pie, or chicken and dumplings, german style...

Anonymous said...

yum! that looks GOOOOOOD!
I'm going to make that! Wait! no I'm not! I have no clean dishes!

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that's edible? It's looks more like pepperoni pizza with extra cheese to me than a pie.

Hehe...

Hmmmmmm, chhhheeeeessssee...

Bugwit said...

Mmmmm that looks good. Can I have some?

Anonymous said...

That looks fantastic. I feel warm inside already.

Kat said...

madge- It was ;o)

melanie- mmmm dumplings! Haven't had those in AGES.

moxy ness? I figured it had to be you with the dishes comment ;o)

demon- no. not pizza. But I was considering making it from scratch the other day. Haven't done that in a while!

buggy- I'm pregnant. I ate it all. sorry ;o)

fish- It makes me hungry every time I look at it!

Anonymous said...

Ha..."Spread em (not your legs)" very sound kitchen advice.

Bugwit said...

damn. Your poor future hubby. He must be wasting away to nothing.;-)

Anonymous said...

**Holding back puke* ;)

Steve~

Kat said...

fish- health and safety first!


buggy- oh, he helps! I guess I should have said I ate all of it (that I could get my hands on) ;o)

steve- what? are you vegetarian? What's a man of your former size got against meat and potatoes?

Tits McGee said...

Can't I spread my potatoes and my legs?

Kat said...

For you my dear tits, anything!

Cheezy said...

That looks yummy... (the pie and tits ;-)