Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Sorry. I've Been Busy Stuffing My Face.

Holy sheep shoot.
I need to post more.
Sorry kids.

This past weekend was Thanksgiving for those of us north of the border. I had the pleasure of consuming 2 turkey dinners. One of which was...I can't even say it....ahem....deep fried. Sacrilege!
I couldn't believe it. There it was, in all of it's bare and dimpled glory, boiling away in a great silver vat of oil. Indeed, a part of me has died. Despite the turkey defamation, it was a lovely day. Sun breaking through the lightened branches, illuminating reds, gold and ambers; laying striking shadows along dampened ground. My mama's house was packed to the hilt with 25 crazy people who bear some sort of resemblance to my self. I was in charge of vegetables. So I made a Butternut Squash Soup and 2 Baked Cauliflower dishes. One in a green chile sour cream with shredded cheddar. And one in a roasted red pepper sauce with a crumble of goat cheese. There was of course the mash, stuffing, brussel sprouts, rolls, salad and loads of gravy. Dessert was an array of mini- mousse cakes, ranging from chocolate decadence to pumpkin swirl and pecan delight, fresh from a friend's local bakery. My sister in law donated her fabulous -from- scratch lemon meringue pie and Grandma made apple pie.

The next day we ventured on over to the other half's. Dinner there is ultra traditional (aka not fried). You can bet there will always be a slow roasted bird, sliced carrots, mashers, stuffing, yorkshire pudding and loads of gravy. Dessert is always homemade pumpkin pie. I love sameness. It's so reliable.

Monday I finally made it to the fair. Ms. Munchkin went on her first ride ever! It was a train of cars that went around in a loop with a small hill somewhere in the middle. I set her in then had to stand behind the gates. My heart was pounding in my throat as I waved the red balloon so she could see where I'd gone to. But she never looked back. She took hold a'that wheel and she turned and turned. I kept having nightmarish visions of all the children trying to get out and being mutilated by miniature purple cars. But the ride ended safely of course, and Ms. Munchkin was stoked for another ride. She had her heart set on riding a dragon rollercoaster but she wasn't 'this high'. So Super Auntie took her through the fun house that exits on to a giant slide. Loved it! By the end of the day we'd nourished ourselves well with Fries, icecream, fudge and popsicles. And let's not forget the spoils. Grandma bought baby to be a handmade set of a hat, mits and a coat. But it was Ms. Munchkin who took the cake. Super Uncle won her a giant purple unicorn, by shooting out the star with the rifle. He also won her a Secrets Care Bear by winning a frog race. While grandma braved it out with the guess your weight and brought home the little black puppy. Munchkin slept with all of them last night....and I went to bed right after her.

19 comments:

Cheezy said...

Deep fried turkey... hehe... and I thought turkey was supposed to be one of the healthiest meats... not when it's boiled up in a vat of fat it's not! :-p

Anonymous said...

You have a thanksgiving-equivilent in canada?

i never knew that....

Cornelius T. Fish said...

I had a slice of pumpkin pie, topped with a piece of birthday cake. Then I had a stroke. BTW..is deep fried turkey good?

Verdant Earl said...

I luuuuuuuv me some Thanksgiving!

Can't wait for the end of November. My favoritist holiday. So jealous that you already had two!

I got to try deep-fried turkey once a few years back. Very tasty, although cooking it is a risky proposition. Lots of grease fires started when the un-initiated try it for the first time...or so I've heard.

Kat said...

cheezy- ya know I was a little leery of how much gravy I should be adding to the plate when the bird was fried. Normally I wouldn't worry so much!

slyde- please tell me you're not serious...

fish- ...a piece of YOUR birthday cake? And I refuse to say that it was better. Nothing beats slow cooked meat.

earl- Luckily we staved off any fires. My family is pretty neurotic about doing things 'right', so they took all the necessary precautions. Oh and...nah hah! :op
... oh and I've always wanted to know if you think that your Thanksgiving is too close to Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmmmmy.

Anonymous said...

Man...I have NEVER eaten a deep fried turkey...but holy shit I want to.

Go snag some leftovers and send em to me. ;)

Steve~

elizabeth said...

Slyde - you're kidding - yes? Canada isn't that far away you know, LOL.

Deep fried turkey - that should be against the law.

Kat said...

madge- what is that avatar? It looks like a big blue nipple when it's small like that...and last week you were a cow. Are you a shape-shifter?

Steve- Sorry. I believe the entire fried bird was consumed...all to my horror of course.

liz- amen.

Cornelius T. Fish said...

I don't mean do get fixated (it's David Haselhoff all over again) but is it a WHOLE deep fried turkey...How long would that take, and are there EMT's standing by? And yes it was my Birthday cake, 33, same age as Jesus.

jiggs said...

when my family fried the turkey it tasted so good. the meat was so moist and the frying really locked in the flavor.

Kat said...

fish- it takes 1/2 an hour. You need to displace the turkey in water first so you know how much oil to use to avoid spilage and of course fires. No emts. Do drunk relatives count? ...and yes, I remember now. You're celebrating with Jesus ;o)

jiggs- I always want to type juggs, but I bet you always get that. Maybe you did something we didn't. What kind of oil do you use. I'm a sucker for really slow cooked meat though...till it falls off the bone so to speak ;o)

Anonymous said...

i really WAS serious...

We americans really DO think the world revolves around us...

platts42 said...

What? What is this "World" you speak of? Is it that place on the map inside of the blue water? I'm confused.

Don't Dis the fried turkey. It's stellar if done right. And I don't care how many hillbillys get 3rd degree burns fixing it for me.

Gobble Gobble.

Canadian Thanksgiving? Do you guys have a Canadian Halloween too?

Kat said...

slyde- no wonder it was so easy to convince a couple in the pool in Myrtle Beach that to put our pack of huskies (aka sled pullers) in a kennel cost big bucks and then we had to spend more once we got south on shorts and bathing suits cause we don't own any and can't buy any in Canada....eventhough some of the northern US is colder and gets more snow than many parts of Canada...and summer in southern Ontario this year was hotter than many places in the entire world. But I digress.

marrrrk-so it really is good eh? hmf. I think I have to stick to the slow roasted, basting et al.
...Halloween? Wasn't that just a movie?

Anonymous said...

Great blog!
Plus, you made me hungry!
You Canadians and your early thanksgiving, you beat us to the good stuff every time.

jiggs said...

i didn't actually cook the turkey. I just benefited from their awesomeness.

Tits McGee said...

Soooooooooo hungry.

Kat said...

dusio- Welcome and thanks!

jiggs- gotcha. Maybe tits knows.

hey tits- what kind of oil would you fry a turkey in if you were going to fry a turkey? Unless of course (like me) you'd never do such a thing, then hypothetically.