Wednesday, August 02, 2006

RUMTOPF

This is a very tasty traditional German dessert or drink. I'm kinda late posting this (you'll see why if you read on). I only just thought of it after reading Cheezy's blog about fondue. Anyhoo...all you alchies out there will love this one. But again, my impatient friends, like the ribs this recipe takes tender time.

Stuff you'll need~

a rumtopf (a german clay pot)
a cool place to store said pot
lots o'white sugar
lots o'rum of any colour or flavour
lots 0'fruit in season (but not apples or oranges...trust me, they're yucky)


This is how we do it...sha la la la laaa ahhh...break it down now!~

Ok. So the best way to do this is to buy a pint of fruit (preferably berries and peaches...even plums, although I hate plums) when it is in season. Take the pint and stir it in a bowl with sugar. The ratio is 2 to 1 -fruit to sugar. Then dump it in your topf and add just enough rum to cover the layer. Cover topf with plastic wrap, an elastic band and replace the lid. Store in a cool dark place until next fruit is in season. If you're not too sure wait atleast 2 weeks before adding the next fruit layer. Once your topf is full, leave it sealed and stored until Christmas. You can serve it over ice cream, waffles, french toast, pound cake or warm it up and serve it as a drink with a cinnamon stick. This stuff rocks! Soooo worth the wait.

Your welcome ;o)

5 comments:

K's Mumma said...

yup...maybe! tx for visiting...wud luv to know more abt ur pg...tc!

elizabeth said...

No more german anything for me dear.

Kat said...

But what about the song?? You liked that no? It reminds me of another song....memories, in the corner of my mind. Misty water coloured memories....

Anonymous said...

Wow...that sounds awful!

My utter lack of a sweet tooth might have something to do with it, but it sounds like a syrupy, sweet mess.

Now I did make Ribs ala Kat again last weekend and they came out even better the second time! Only change I made was that I used my grandmother's old Dutch oven (most awesome freakin' piece o' cooking utensil I own) to steam the ribbies and I let 'em steam for twice as long.

The were fall-off-the-bone delicious! Thanks again!

Kat said...

No worries mate! I just had spare ribs in dry garlic sauce last night...I drool now just thinking about it.

Surprisingly the rumtopf isn't overly sweet and not very syropy....with all the booze in there, and the time it takes to ferment(=more alcohol! yum!) etc...a spoonful or two on top of vanilla icecream is really excellent. I don't have much of a sweet tooth myself, but this is a great Christmas treat.